We’re still trying to sort ourselves out in the new house. We found a bit of mould on the ceiling in the master bedroom and the wall of the spare bedroom. Nothing major and probably mostly the result of having the carpets cleaned in the middle of a particularly damp winter before moving out and shutting up the house for three weeks. (The previous owner kindly, but as it turns out, ill-advisedly, had the carpets in every room commercially cleaned for us.) But enough that I don’t want to move into the master bedroom until we’ve had it painted. My plan was to live in the smallest room while that happened but that was stymied by the mould we found in there. (I’ve since discovered that a northerly blows rain right through the caulking around the old wooden window frames in that room – no wonder it was a tad damp. The northerly is our prevailing wind.)
We cleaned the spare room with exit mould and slept where we could (in the lounge or snuggled up with Petra) while we waited for the ammonia smell to clear. It has, but the room is still choking me.
I couldn’t figure it out until we dragged some furniture around in the lounge and scuffed up the carpet causing both Travis and me to sneeze and wheeze. The damn solvents they used to clean the carpets are the choking culprit. I’m not quite sure what to do about it, short of lifting the carpets and either replacing them or sanding the hardwood floors.
The internet tells me to vacuum often and suggests that vinegar might help as might baking soda, and warns me that if the smell doesn’t lift, the carpets will have to go. Oh yay. New carpets stink and are expensive. And sanding and varnishing floors adds mess as well as smell to the mix.
I’m spritzing vinegar around today and crossing my fingers that it will eat up the smell. And once it’s dried and I’ve vacuumed again, I might sprinkle baking soda around the place to see what it can do.