I want to post something but I can't think of anything exciting, witty, odd, whatever to write about, so I'm taking the cheat's way out and posting a list of questions that I flogged off Facebook.
1. WAS YOUR FIRST BORN'S PREGNANCY PLANNED?
Yes, although we were surprised by how quickly we got pregnant.
2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME?
3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS?
Excitement, surprise, some tears.
4. HOW OLD WERE YOU?
5. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT?
Obsessively doing pregnancy tests until I got a positive one.
6. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST?
7. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX?
Not really. But we did find out. Because Travis wanted to. And because we had so much trouble thinking of a boy's name that we thought we'd better know whether we needed to keep looking for one or not. As it turned out, we didn't need one.
8. DUE DATE?
10 November 2007
9. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS?
Yes. Brushing my teeth made me puke a few times. We had to change our dish washing liquid because I couldn't open the kitchen cupboards without retching. Food smells got to me as well. I ate a lot of mandarins and dry crackers in the first trimester and not so much else.
Mandarins. Butter chicken from the Taj Mahal restaurant. Salmon as prepared by Travis. In the last trimester we ate salmon several times a week.
11. WHO/WHAT IRRITATED YOU THE MOST?
The DHL guy who wouldn't give me the information I needed to get my parcels through Costa Rican customs. The repairman who kept promising he would fix my fridge and not showing up. I was an impatient pregnant woman.
12. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD'S SEX?
13. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING? No.
14. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY?
Around 35 – I stopped looking in the last few weeks because the numbers got a bit scary.
15. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER?
16. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW?
I knew. It was arranged by Karla and her mum Nasa.
17. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY?
I had a mild placental abruption which caused some bleeding and made me feel lousy. I had to spend two months at home doing nothing in particular. It was frightening but the rest fixed it completely and Petra was just fine.
18. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH?
Clinica Santa Rita, San Jose, Costa Rica.
19. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR?
20. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL?
21. WHO WATCHED YOU GIVE BIRTH?
Travis, my Ob/Gyn, the pediatrician, a couple or three nurses, an anaesthetist, and an orderly stacking bandages in the corner cupboard. Quite the crowd.
22. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION?
Natural. Although I was induced.
23. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN?
No medication. I was very proud of myself.
24. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH?
25. WHEN WAS YOUR CHILD ACTUALLY BORN ?
6:17pm on Thursday 15 November 2007.
26. WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER?
Petra Rose. We followed the Spanish naming convention. Two first names, the father's last name, then the mother's.
27. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY?
Almost 15 months.